Monday, July 29, 2013

Africa Inspires

For many years now, I have admired the many beautiful patterns in the African fabrics friends of mine wore on a daily basis.  

The colour and pattern you find in these beautiful textiles is one of the sources of inspiration for my leather work; wherever possible, I line my purses and cover my books with distinct African fabrics.  


Meloleather African fabric lined leather purse made by Melo 2012

This inspiration worked very well during Black History Month when I ran bookmaking workshops using African fabrics. It's also nice to see that others are using Africa as a source of inspiration too.  The July/August 2013 issue of Selvedge, a magazine which focuses on textiles, has a feature on African textiles and the history that forged some of them.  Take a look if you get the chance.


Meloleather African fabric small notebook made in London by Melo 2012Meloleather African fabric small notebook made in London by Melo 2012